After graduating from the State University of New York at Buffalo with a degree in business administration, Mr. Smalarz earned his master of business administration (MBA) from Wayne State University, and later his law degree from the University of Detroit Mercy School of Law. While he was a law student he served as an intern for the Honorable George Caram Steeh of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan and was an active member of the University of Detroit Mercy School of Law Moot Court Board of Advocates. Mr. Smalarz also earned the book award in U.S. Securities Regulations.
Licensed to practice in the state courts of Michigan, Mr. Smalarz is also admitted to appear before the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.
Active in the legal community, Mr. Smalarz participates in the American Bankruptcy Institute (ABI) and is a past presenter the ABI’s annual Central States Bankruptcy Workshop.
Recognized for his accomplishments in the legal profession, Mr. Smalarz has been named a Rising Star in Michigan in the field of Consumer Bankruptcy by Super Lawyers for the years 2013 – 2016.
Areas of Practice
- 80% Debtor Representation
- 10% Creditor Representation
- 10% Trustee Representation
- 75% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Michigan, 2007
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, Detroit, Michigan
- J.D. – 2007
- State University of New York, Buffalo, New York
- B.S. cum laude – 2003
- Major: Business Administration
- Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan
- M.B.A. – 2006
- Major: Master of Business Administration
- How Courts are Interpreting Schwab v Reilly, 2012 – Present
- Riding Through Bankruptcy – Another Look at Section 521 and the Debtor’s Intentions, 2015 – Present
Honors and Awards
- Member, Moot Court Board of Advocates, University of Detroit Mercy
- Recipient, Book Award, U.S. Securities Regulation, University of Detroit Mercy
- Michigan Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2013 – 2016
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Michigan, Member
- Federal Bar Association (Eastern District of Michigan), Member
- Consumer Bankruptcy Association, Member, 2007 – 2016
- Oakland County Bar Association, Member
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member, 2012 – 2016
Past Employment Positions
- Honorable George C. Steeh, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, Judicial Intern